Research and development engineer
The research and development engineer will design and develop durable edge seal solutions for insulating glass, including warm-edge spacers, plus other adjacent solutions for window products. They will also provide technical support for customers and for internal manufacturing process improvement. They will communicate and interact with local and global teams and with external resources as it relates to product design, evaluation and market compliance. They lead product development projects from inception to launch, involving facilitating/coordinating concept development, design evaluation and testing in collaboration with customers, outside vendors, and internal sales and manufacturing operations teams and other support teams as required. They will be responsible for following the Technoform common innovation process and ISO certified Quality Management System for new product development.
- As part of a team, you will be responsible for creating and evaluating new product concepts.
- You will understand Technoform products' primary and adjacent markets and our business strategy.
- You will support the organization's intellectual property strategy by documenting data and independent, unique and patentable ideas that result from experimentations and concept generation activities.
- You will keep abreast of latest developments in process and insulating glass materials, design and equipment technology. Research new processes or materials processing technologies for possible new product development.
- You will collaborate with marketing teams and engineers to create product concepts and designs.
Product design and development
- Apply creative thinking, analysis and good judgement to propose innovative solutions to technical problems, which may involve a range of diverse approaches and resolving conflicting issues.
- Lead the design and development of new products and product engineering using industry best practices, statistical methods, tolerance stack ups, design of experiments and other quality tools. Create drawings and mock-ups of product ideas, generate and test prototypes, develop cost models, specify raw materials and qualify vendors, create product and process specifications, develop and specify new manufacturing processes or equipment as needed.
- You will lead the process qualification for and transition to full-scale production.
- You will organize prototype and product testing (for internal use and 3rd party witnessing) specific to maintaining existing products and developing new products.
- Create ROI and feasibility assessments.
- Develop detailed project plans with engineering, manufacturing, and sales and marketing teams to manage all aspects of product development and production.
- Lead the project and carry out assigned responsibilities in a timely, diligent, safe, and professional manner and guide all team members assigned to the project to keep them moving forward on schedule.
Product compliance and technical support
- Provide process and product technical support to customers and sales team. This may involve traveling to customers’ facilities to support process troubleshooting or on-site running thermal simulations, providing test data, documentation or approvals.
- You will actively participate in the Technoform quality management system’s corrective and preventative action system.
- Ensure proper design and development documentation as per internal standards.
Your required qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Materials or Chemical Engineering, Material Science, Physics or related technical discipline or equivalent. Specific industry related experience a significant plus.
- Proven experience in successfully bringing new products from conception to manufacturing. Prior experience of developing insulating glass or fenestration related products, or with extrusion processes is a plus.
- Demonstrated creativity in product design and in problem solving.
- Proven skill in using quality tools such as design for six-sigma, statistical capability analysis, design and process FMEA, root cause analysis .
- Experience with process and equipment troubleshooting. Prior experience with insulating glass fabricating equipment or extrusion equipment is a plus.
- Mechanical design experience desired.
- Experience in process development desired and ability to create solutions to address production and efficiency related issues.
- Understanding of sealants, plastics and metals and their mechanical and adhesion properties is desired.
- Experience with weathering and performance testing of products and materials. Specific experience of testing insulating glass and insulating glass sealant materials is a plus.
- Experience with materials and surface analysis is desired.
- Experience in test and/or process equipment design and specification is a plus.
- Ability to work effectively with and leverage outside vendors.
- Experience in project management.
- Well versed with Auto-CAD or SolidWorks.
- Desire to work in a manufacturing environment focused on continuous improvement.
- Entrepreneurial nature: Self-directed, goal-oriented, customer focused.
- Dedicated team player with a willingness to learn new product technology and processes.
- Ability to travel occasionally.
- Competencies Required:
- Leadership – “Leading by example and competence, not by title.” Actively participating and leading the projects to completion.
- Self-Starter – Able to visualize the need or vision; capable of independent thought and action.
- Persistent – Ability to achieve objectives with influence, persistence and diligent follow-up. Ability to foresee risks or accept loss, eager to understand the cause, and ensure corrective action.
- Project Management – Track record in successfully managing projects meeting schedule, cost and quality objectives. Break the status quo and take on the challenging new ventures for better tomorrow.
- Communication Proficiency – A key tool to forge negotiations and relations with all stakeholders to achieve the common goal.
- Technical Capacity – Able to understand Technoform products and operational technology and working on continuous improvement.
- We offer a diverse range of projects and tasks in a dynamic team setting that will help you to identify and gain experience in your area of interest.
- Learn and grow your core competencies, along with an exposure in different business processes.
- A true entrepreneurial environment built on individual and team ownership with a self-starter perspective.
- Supported by a model for flexible work time to create a work-life balance.
- Contribute and grow in a fast-paced manufacturing company focused on innovation and growth.
Send your application
Please send your full application to the following:
1755 Enterprise Parkway
helen [dot] sanders [at] technoform [dot] com
Are you interested?
If you have any questions or would like to apply, send us a message.